DPW Hiring Organizing Director
Democratic Party of Wisconsin – Organizing Director Position
Title: Organizing Director
Posted: May 7, 2009
Job Location: Statewide, based in Madison
Start Date: ASAP
Download a PDF copy of this job description.
Description: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Organizing Director. The DPW Organizing Director will work directly with the
State Chair, Executive Director, Communications Director, and Membership Director to develop and implement the statewide political and issue advocacy strategies of the Democratic Party.
Specific responsibilities of the Organizing Director include:
• Building political relationships and improving coordination between the DPW and statewide
allied organizations, community activist groups, and political campaigns.
• Assisting in the development and execution of organizing and grassroots development
strategies to broaden the Democratic base and grow party membership.
• Providing guidance and assistance to the organizing and development efforts of local
Democratic Party organizations.
• Coordinating incumbent protection and challenger support efforts, including canvasses,
phone banks, petition drives, and house parties.
• Working with Organizing for America and other civic engagement groups to execute
advocacy programs in support of Democratic issues and fiscal policies, including constituent
contact and letter-to-the-editor campaigns.
• Working with the State Senate Democratic Committee and Assembly Democratic Campaign
Committee to identify and recruit potential candidates for the state legislature.
• Working with county party organizations, organized labor, and allied organizations to
identify, recruit, and assist candidates for local office.
• Leading various out-state field, voter file, and communications trainings.
• Coordinating usage of the DPW’s predictive dialer system in connection with the above
The selected applicant will meet the following qualifications:
• Must have a political or community organizing background, including experience working
with labor and other allied organizations.
• Must have a sound understanding of field activities, including volunteer
recruitment/management, targeting, and basic voter file skills.
• Wisconsin organizing, training, and candidate recruitment experience preferred, but not
The Organizing Director position is based in Madison, WI, but will require extensive travel throughout the state. The Organizing Director Position is a full-time, salaried position funded through the DNC’s State Partnership Project. Salary is commensurate with experience. Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to Jason Stephany, DPW Executive Director, at JasonS@wisdems.org or fax to 608.255.8919. No calls please.