2016 National Convention
General Information on the 2016 Democratic National Convention
The 2016 Democratic National Convention will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on July 25 to 28, 2016. The convention is a major event in the life of a political party, and convention delegates are at the heart of all decisions made. In addition to voting for the party’s presidential and vice presidential nominee, delegates to the Democratic National Convention have an opportunity to vote on the party’s platform and resolutions, as well as the rules that govern the party. For more information, or to sign up for updates from the national Party, please visit https://convention.democrats.org or http://www.phldnc.com
The Wisconsin Delegation
Wisconsin's 2012 Delegation in Charlotte, NC
- Wisconsin will select a total of 96 delegates and 7 alternates for the 2016 convention
- There are three different delegate types that one may run as: District Level Delegate, PLEO Delegate, or At Large Delegate. Please click the links below for more information on each type.
- In order to run as a delegate you must be 18 years old on or before April 5, 2016, be a resident of Wisconsin and a U.S. Citizen, and be a registered voter in the district in which you are running
- February 9th: Statement of Intent forms will be available on this website and at State Party Headquarters
- April 8th: Statement of Intent forms are due to the State Party Headquarters by 5:00pm for anyone wishing to run as a District Level Delegate
- April 17th: County Caucuses
- May 1st: Congressional District Caucuses
- May 20th: Statement of Intent forms are due to the State Party Headquarters by 5:00pm for anyone wishing to run as a PLEO or an At Large Delegate
- June 3rd: PLEO and At Large Delegates are selected by the DPW Administrative Committee in Green Bay, WI
- July 25th - 28th: Democratic National Convention held in Philadelphia, PA
Delegate Breakdown by Candidate:
Wisconsin has a binding primary. All pledged delegates are assigned proportionally based on primary results from the April 5th presidential primary.
District Level Delegates
Click above to download a copy of the official Statement of Intent and Pledge of Support Form, which is required to be a delegate for National Convention. This form can be submitted via email at [email protected] or through the mail to 15 N Pinckney St, Suite 200, Madison, WI 53703. Reminder: these forms are due to the State Party by 5:00pm on April 8th for anyone seeking to be a District Level Delegate or by 5:00pm on May 20th for anyone seeking to be a PLEO or At-Large Delegate.
Click above for a full list of county caucus locations
Delegate Replacement form:
Per Section III of the Wisconsin Delegate Selection Plan, any person elected as a delegate at the first tier who cannot attend the Congressional District Caucus will be responsible for naming an alternate from the elected alternates to serve in his/her place. This person must be named using the following Delegate Replacement Form. This form must be turned into the Democratic Party of Wisconsin Headquarters by 5:00pm on Friday, April 29th (to [email protected] or to 15 Pinckney St, Suite 200, Madison, WI 53703) or in person to the CD Caucus Convener by 2:00pm on Sunday, May 1st.
Click above for a full list of CD caucus locations
Click above for an overview of Wisconsin's Delegate Selection Plan or to download a copy of the full plan.
Click above to download an easy one page handout that outlines important details about how to be a National Convention Delegate
Interested in being a delegate to the National Convention or just want more information on the process? The Democratic Party of Wisconsin will be hosting several free National Convention information sessions all across Wisconsin in Spring 2016. Click above for a full listing of trainings and to find one near you.
Have questions? Feel free to contact us at 608-255-5172 or [email protected]