Job Description: Candidate Services Coordinator
Reports to: Candidate Services Manager
Location: Madison, Milwaukee, or a designated region in Wisconsin.
Salary: $40,000-$45,000/year, generous benefits package
Start Date: January 2022
Application Deadline: 11/22/2021 (Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Deadlines may be shortened or extended as necessary. There is no guarantee this posting will remain open until the deadline or be closed on the deadline. This is a suggested timeframe based on organization needs.)
About the Democratic Party of Wisconsin: The DPW is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2021-22 cycle, DPW will drive a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson in order to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. DPW’s work—grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide—continues year-round, working with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding candidates who share our values and vision to join our team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: The Candidate Services Coordinator will work alongside the Candidate Services Director and Manager to support and execute the Spring and Fall Candidate Services programs and support the needs of candidates up and down the ballot. Through 1:1 support, you will help build a bench of Democratic candidates at all levels.
- Work with the Candidate Services Director and Candidate Services Manager to execute our Spring support program.
- Provide local candidates with support, which may include cutting turf, prepping phone banks, designing literature and mailers, assisting with social media, setting up websites and social media pages, and general campaign feedback and advice.
- Be the point of contact for candidates delegated by the Candidate Services Manager.
- Build and maintain relationships with county parties, candidates, and campaign managers.
- Provide resources, training opportunity information, and campaign consultation to non-targeted state legislative candidates.
- Find creative ways to support down-ballot candidates who are often functioning on tight budgets and have little campaign experience.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Growth Mindset – Ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal-Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Excellent Written & Interpersonal Communication Skills – Has the ability to build relationships with candidates, community leaders, and activists.
- Time-Management Skills – Prior experience demonstrating the ability to prioritize and manage details to efficiently multitask.
- Creative Problem Solver – Able to adapt quickly and think on their feet, while maintaining positive relationships with a number of stakeholders.
- Quick Learner – Ability to learn internal party channels and campaign mechanics to accomplish needs and fulfill requests of candidates in a fast paced environment.
- Familiarity with VAN (Votebuilder) or similar software.
- Access to reliable transportation and the willingness to travel statewide.
- Graphic design skills.
- Experience working on campaigns and/or directly with a candidate for elected office, particularly within Wisconsin.
Benefits: Great benefits including; excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short term and long-term disability (free), free Better Help virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 10 days paid vacation, retirement plan with 3% employer match, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.