Job Description: Data Director
Reports to: Senior Elections Director
Salary: $60,000-$80,000/year , generous benefits package
Start date: As Soon As Possible
Application Deadline: 03/29/2020 (Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Deadlines may be shortened or extended as necessary. There is no guarantee this posting will remain open until the deadline or be closed on the deadline. This is suggested timeframe based on organization needs.)
About the Democratic Party of Wisconsin: For the next four years, Wisconsin state politics will carry an almost unprecedented intensity and level of historical significance. Wisconsin faces a pivotal local and state Supreme Court race in the spring of 2020, will be a – maybe THE – critical swing state in the 2020 presidential election. The 2020 state legislative elections will also shape redistricting in 2021, which will determine the state’s political future for a decade to come. In 2022, the state will hold deeply competitive and consequential statewide elections, including for Governor and US Senator.
For the sake of the state’s future – and the nation’s – the Democratic Party of Wisconsin seeks an intelligent, personable, organized, self-starting individual to join our team.
The Opportunity: The Data Director will handle the day-to-day data needs of the State Party, and state and federal campaigns. The position will work across departments and with the DNC to use data to provide insight and guidance to our statewide efforts.
• Implementing systems for access to and data sharing within Votebuilder for all user types, including national entities and other in-state campaigns and committees.
• Collaborating with other staff to develop and deliver training curriculum for staff, campaigns, and county parties
• Work closely with the Organizing team to provide resources such as organizing reports, voter and volunteer targeting, goal-setting and Votebuilder maintenance.
• Effectively manage & integrate data across multiple platforms (e.g. Digital/Email, Reach, Shadow).
• Providing timely and relevant analysis of data and fielding requests for specialized research projects, in many cases requiring rapid turnaround;
• Tracking and disseminating analysis of voter contact results, early vote and absentee
• turnout, voter registration, and other data relevant to campaigns and caucuses;
• Collecting raw political data from government and consumer sources and converting it to usable form for analysis; scrubbing and matching acquired lists back to the voter file (VoteBuilder, Big Query or offline);
• Work directly to elect candidates for office and in-state committees to take care of data needs they may have.
• Work directly with senior staff, including Coordinated Campaign leadership, to provide technical perspective at the strategic and tactical levels to support data-driven decisions.Use political sense to give advice to partners and suggest queries or modifications to data requests where appropriate.
• Manage relationships with voter file, analytics and technology vendors, and serve as a liaison to other organizations that DPW works closely with on data-related issues.
• Provide IT support where necessary; manage all IT programs and inventory.
• Growth mindset: ability to take and implement feedback
• Relentlessly goal-oriented: enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals; willing to go over, under, around, or through any obstacle that gets in the way of meeting goals
• Cultural competency: able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers who identify as POCI, and across lines of difference
• Strong organizational & time management skills
• Strong verbal, written & interpersonal communication skills, including explaining data and analyses in understandable terms to an audience of varying technical understanding
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple, fast-moving projects at the same time
• Experience standardizing data from multiple sources to produce complex reports, including written explanations and memos
• Advanced knowledge of Excel including formulas, functions, and pivot tables
• Experience in Votebuilder administration, or in another CRM such as Salesforce, Action Network, etc.
• Complete cycle(s) of campaign experience as a data staffer
• Familiarity with Wisconsin politics is a plus
• Experience using NGP database also a plus
• Experience with digital data from online organizing systems and/or email
• Expertise with using predictive models and precinct targeting to build voter, volunteer and paid contact target segments
• Intermediate to advanced knowledge of SQL, including creating queries and manipulating large data sets.
• Experience creating visualization dashboards and/or maps
• Experience with a coding language such as Python or R
• Experience managing staff, especially in a data or technical team
Benefits: Great benefits including; health care, dental, life insurance, short term and long-term disability, cell phone stipend, mileage reimbursement, generous annual vacation time, sick days, and holiday time off.
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful in this role, the candidate must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse group of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Latinx, Muslim, nonEnglish-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.