The Deputy Candidate Services Director works to help build, grow, and maintain the Spring and Fall Candidate Services programs and support the needs of candidates often not supported elsewhere. The Deputy Candidate Services Director works under the supervision of the Candidate Services Director within the Political Department of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin.
Major responsibilities include:
• Manage the Candidate Services Coordinator.
• Support local candidates by working with the Candidate Services Director to execute the Spring Forward 2020 program
• Be the point of contact and support for candidates delegated by the Candidate Services Director.
• Design and update materials such as the database of local elected officials, candidate handbook, etc.
• Help recruit state legislative candidates in targeted districts.
• Maintain relationships with county parties, coordinated campaign, partner organizations, building staff, and legislative leaders.
• Maintain relationships with candidates, campaign managers, and state legislative caucuses.
• Provide resources, training opportunity information, and campaign consultation to non-targeted state legislative candidates.
• Find creative ways to support down-ballot candidates who are often functioning on tight budgets and with little campaign experience.
• Work with Candidate Services Director to plan out Candidate Services program for beyond 2020.
Qualifications and skills
A Deputy Candidate Services Director must utilize excellent communication and interpersonal skills to build relationships with candidates, leaders, and activists, while maintaining a high level of time management and organization to meet the needs of candidates and the Democratic Party of Wisconsin. A Deputy Candidate Services Director must be a creative problem solver and be able to adapt quickly and think on their feet, while maintaining positive relationships with a number of stakeholders.
• Ability to learn internal party channels to accomplish needs and fulfill asks of candidates in a fast paced environment
• Be a strong listener, with an ear for detail and specifics and excellent verbal and written communicator
• Have experience using VAN.
• Knowledge of campaign concepts and strategies.
• Have a strong growth mindset: ability to take and implement feedback
• Be relentlessly goal-oriented: enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals; willing to go over, under, around, or through any obstacle that gets in the way of meeting goals.
• Have strong cultural competency: able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers who identify as POCI, and across lines of difference.
Have access to a vehicle for travel.
Big pluses if applicant:
• Has existing political relationships with DPW, partner orgs, or electeds.
About the Democratic Party of Wisconsin: For the next four years, Wisconsin state politics will carry an almost unprecedented intensity and level of historical significance. Wisconsin faces a pivotal local and state Supreme Court race in the spring of 2020, will host the Democratic National Convention in 2020, and will be a – maybe THE – critical swing state in the 2020 presidential election. The 2020 state legislative elections will also shape redistricting in 2021, which will determine the state’s political future for a decade to come. And in 2022, the state will hold deeply competitive and consequential statewide elections, including for Governor and US Senator.
This is a mid-level position. The Deputy Candidate Services Director will be based in Madison.
Salary and benefits: Salary range; $45,000 – $65,000. Great benefits including; health care, dental, life insurance, short term and long-term disability, cell phone stipend, mileage reimbursement, generous annual vacation time, sick days, and holiday time off.
To Apply: Please submit a resume including your three most recent employers; cover letter addressing what you bring to this position, and the DPW; and at least three professional references. (References are not contacted until you’ve had a successful interview, and are notified)
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful in this role, the candidate must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse group of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.