Job Title: Deputy Communications Director
Reports to: Communications Director
Hiring Range: $75,000 – $81,500, generous benefits package and room for growth/raises
Location: Madison, WI
Start date: August/September 2021
Application Deadline: 8/6/2021
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: The DPW is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2021-22 election cycle, DPW will drive a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson in order to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. DPW’s work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: The Deputy Communications Director position is an operations and strategy role in one of the most-watched, critically important states in the country. You will serve as a thought partner to the Communications Director to help develop the communications strategy for 2022. Furthermore, you will help lead the team’s operations efforts focused on optimizing and organizing a strong team of spokespeople to drive the mission and message of the Wisconsin Democratic Party.
*Please note: This is not a media-facing/on-the-record press secretary role; however, a very strong understanding of the press and how to drive earned media are a must.
- Work with the Communications Director to implement the overall communications strategy for the 2022 cycle and assist with day-to-day communications decisions and processes.
- Build and implement processes to streamline communications operations and improve departmental efficiency. This includes overseeing and developing communications calendar, rollouts/project management systems, goals tracking, and approvals.
- Help manage and coordinate the team of communications professionals, to ensure all goals are aligned and everyone has a clear and complete picture of what members of this team and other teams are working on.
- Writing for the DPW Chair and other senior leadership, including public facing updates and statements as well as internal operations documents.
- Serve as the go-to point of contact and decision maker for the team when the Communications Director is not available.
- Manage and oversee the Press Assistant.
- Assist the Communications Director with the management and hiring of the rest of the Communications staff.
- Growth Mindset – Ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers across lines of identity difference.
- Management Skills – Ability to manage relationships within your team, bring out the best in your employees, and treat employees equitably across lines of difference.
- Excellent Organizational Skills – Prior experience demonstrating the ability to prioritize and manage details to efficiently multitask. Capacity to succeed in a dynamic work environment that frequently requires balancing competing demands.
- Professional Communications Experience – Prior experience carrying out effective communications responsibilities to advance an organization/individual’s goals. Including, but not limited to: creating and implementing communications calendars, executing rollout plans, defining goals trackers, and drafting written materials (press releases, talking points, etc.).
- Proven Project Management Experience – Prior experience planning, overseeing and leading strategic projects from ideation to completion. You follow up on next steps and ensure there are no dropped balls.
- Excellent Communication Skills – Demonstrably excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. In particular, the distillation of complex issues into publicly digestible bites which spurs people to action.
- Sharp and Strategic Instincts – You’re fast on your feet and able to make confident strategic choices with minimal oversight. You’re nimble in a fast-paced environment.
- Prior roles executing effective, professional communications experience, including some in government, campaigns, journalism, or similarly fast-paced environments.
- Deep understanding of Wisconsin’s press landscape, including local media markets.
Benefits: Great benefits including; health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short term and long-term disability, free BetterHelp virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 2 weeks paid vacation, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.