Job Title: Deputy Finance Director
Reports to: Finance Director
Salary: $75,000-$80,000, generous benefits package
Start date: May 3rd – May 17th
Application Deadline: April 16th, 2021
Location: Madison, WI once the Pandemic subsides
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: The DPW is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2021-22 election cycle, DPW will drive a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson in order to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. DPW’s work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
About the position: Last year DPW put effort into building countless high profile relationships nationally and in-state resulting in a $38.5 million dollar budget — once the coordinated campaign is accounted for, this number grows to over $60 million dollars. This year we are running an equally aggressive program as we build towards re-electing Governor Tony Evers and defeating Senator Ron Johnson in November 2022.
As Deputy Finance Director, you will be helping to manage this substantial fundraising program through the 2022 election cycle. As such, this role is heavily focused on strengthening relationships, with relative independence, that were established last cycle. This is including, but not limited to, donor outreach, managing the events program, and assisting with the call time program as needed. Someone in this role will have excellent donor maintenance skills, but will also be able to work with large data sets. A comfortability with more complex Excel formulas will be needed to thrive in this role.
- Manage events program — planning and executing the program will be in close coordination with the finance director and support from the events assistant. This also includes:
- Working closely with the digital department to manage and support celebrity and influencer relationships
- Supporting the needs of regular meetings with the finance committee
- Acts as a reliable stand-in for specified donor meetings and events when the finance director or chair are not available.
- Assist with implementing and updating the finance plan including — events, call time, online solicitation, direct mail solicitation, political action committee solicitation, and major donors.
- Assist in managing call time and events assistant.
- Use interpersonal and relationship building skills to balance high level needs of donors.
- Collaborate with the compliance team and finance director to track income, adjust goals as needed, and ensure proper source coding of all contributions.
- Prior experience successfully managing a finance events program.
- Demonstrated experience effectively running a call time program.
- Highly proficient in Excel, showing aptitude for managing large data sets.
- Demonstrable strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Growth Mindset – ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal Oriented – enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers across lines of identity difference.
- Previous experience managing full-time employees.
Benefits: Great benefits including; health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short term and long-term disability, free BetterHelp virtual therapy, Calm premium subscription, cell phone stipend, mileage reimbursement, generous annual vacation time, sick days, and holiday time off.
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.