About the Democratic Party of Wisconsin: The DPW is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2022 election cycle, DPW will drive a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson in order to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. DPW’s work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is seeking a Deputy Voter Protection Director to assist in spotting and resolving voter protection issues, recruit and train poll workers and observers, and help voters more easily access the ballot. This position will report to the Wisconsin Voter Protection Director.
- Work with the Voter Protection Director on strategic planning and implementation.
- Help the Voter Protection Director manage changes to voting laws and procedures in a fast-paced environment.
- Create and review training programs for volunteers.
- Maintain a current knowledge of voting laws and related issues, as well as a current
- knowledge of ongoing goals/activities of other relevant stakeholders.
- Manage and train the team of regional voter protection directors and attorney volunteers that is responsible for tracking election administration issues around the state and developing strong working relationships with municipal election administrators.
- Work cross-departmentally to investigate and troubleshoot voting issues identified by outside stakeholders or other DPW teams
- Other duties as assigned
- Juris Doctorate – a law degree is required for this position.
- Growth Mindset – Ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal-Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Management Skills – Ability to manage relationships within your team, bring out the best in your employees, and treat employees equitably across lines of difference.
- Proven Project Management Experience – Prior experience planning, overseeing and leading strategic projects from ideation to completion. You follow up on next steps and ensure there are no dropped balls.
- Multitasking In A Fast Paced Environment – Able to work quickly without sacrificing accuracy and displays ability to efficiently juggle multiple tasks.
- Excellent Communication Skills – Demonstrably excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. In particular, the distillation of complex issues into digestible bites which spurs people to action.
- Commitment to the DPW’s Values – A strong commitment to protecting the right to vote and expanding access to the ballot, advancing the Democratic agenda, strengthening the Democratic Party, and winning elections;
- Experience managing staff and volunteers
- Proficient in VAN, LBJ, Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs and Dropbox;
- Political organizing and/or campaign experience;
- Previous voter protection, poll observer, poll worker, or hotline volunteer experience.
Benefits: Great benefits including; excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short term and long-term disability (free), free Better Help virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 10 days paid vacation, retirement plan with 3% employer match, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!