Job Description: Director of Accounting
Reports to: Chief Operations Officer
Salary: $70,000 – $85,000, generous benefits package
Start date: October 2021
Preferred Application Deadline: 9/17/2021 (Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Deadlines may be shortened or extended as necessary. There is no guarantee this posting will remain open until the deadline or be closed on the deadline. This is a suggested timeframe based on organization needs.)
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: The DPW is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2021-22 election cycle, DPW will drive a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson in order to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. DPW’s work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
- Manage and make daily updates to the complex DPW operating budget
- Work closely with senior staff to manage departmental budgets
- Manage current and forecast future cash flow for both federal and non-federal funds.
- Work with the finance director to ensure that revenue targets are being met.
- Brief the Chair, Treasurer, ED, and COO weekly on the status of the overall budget.
- Leverage and use the internal DPW accounting database on a daily basis.
- Manage the Accounting & Compliance Department.
- Handle regular reporting and compliance with the Federal Election Commission (FEC), Wisconsin Ethics Commission (WEC), and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Develop and implement processes and systems to track moving pieces and improve efficiency.
- Negotiate contracts and maintain vendor relationships.
- When COVID is over – Assist in setting up offices and ensure that staff have the supplies and resources needed to do their jobs.
- Growth Mindset – ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal Oriented – enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers across lines of identity difference.
- Effective Management Skills – ability to manage relationships within your team, bring out the best in your employees, and treat employees equitably across lines of difference.
- Strong Experience in Creation, Management, and Maintenance of budgets – Ability to quickly make content updates on a daily basis and architectural updates as needed to complex budgets.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets – Ability to track and conduct analysis on multivariate data.
- Accounting and Modeling – Strong understanding of basic accounting principles and documents. Ability to build financial models and cash flow scenarios.
- Knowledge of Campaign Finance and Political Compliance Rules – Familiarity of federal and state (WI) campaign finance laws.
- Org-Wide Budget Management – Previous experience successfully managing the budget of an entire organization.
- Campaign/Operations Role – Previous experience in a campaign operations or compliance role.
Benefits: Great benefits including; health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short term and long-term disability, free BetterHelp virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 2 weeks paid vacation, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.