Job Description: Email Manager
Reports to: Email Director
Salary: $55,000-60,000/annually, generous benefits package
Location: Madison or Milwaukee, WI
Start date: As soon as possible
Application Deadline: 1/25/2022 (Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Deadlines may be shortened or extended as necessary. There is no guarantee this posting will remain open until the deadline or be closed on the deadline. This is a suggested timeframe based on organization needs.)
About the Democratic Party of Wisconsin: The DPW is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2021-22 election cycle, DPW will drive a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson in order to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. DPW’s work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: As Email Manager, you will play a key role within the WisDems Digital Department, quickly spinning up new email copy and leaning into high ROI opportunities as they emerge. Reporting to the Email Director, this candidate will help execute WisDems email fundraising strategy.
- Write content for email programs to bolster WisDem’s digital fundraising.
- Code emails, create corresponding signup and donation pages, and schedule emails using Action Network and HTML.
- A/B test everything you do and come up with new ways to test on the WisDems email and program.
- Collaborate with the Email Director to grow the WisDems email fundraising audience via new and experimental list growth strategies and nurture new subscribers into donors.
- Follow national and Wisconsin news closely, participate in strategy meetings, and flag opportunities for potential fundraising and list growth.
- Keep an eye on engagement metrics and assist in watching for any potential deliverability issues.
- Assist training other departments on how to use Action Network, and support them as they execute their digital programs.
- Growth Mindset – Ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal-Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Understanding of Email Fundraising Best Practices – Previous experience effectively assisting and/or managing an email program.
- Attention to Detail – Experience following quality assurance processes for email or similar processes.
- Digital Tools Knowledge – Experience using ActionNetwork, Tatango, and WordPress (or comparable tools).
- Basic Front-End Development Skills – Proficiency in HTML, knowledge of CSS needed.
- Progressive Advocacy Experience – Work experience on Democratic campaigns or at progressive advocacy organizations.
- Email Reputation Knowledge – Knowledge on how to track, maintain, and optimize email reputation.
- Familiarity with SMS and P2P text – Experience with broadcast and peer-to-peer texting programs with an emphasis on small-dollar digital fundraising.
- Fluency with CRMs – Expertise of Action Network, ActBlue, and Tatango strongly desired. Familiarity with CRMs like ActionKit and EveryAction/NGP8 is also valuable.
- Experience giving effective training to others, ideally around digital toolsets and best practices.
Benefits: Great benefits including; excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short term and long-term disability (free), free Better Help virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 10 days paid vacation, retirement plan with 3% employer match, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.