Job Title: Finance Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
Location: Madison or Milwaukee, WI (once we return to in-person work)
Application Deadline: 9/20/2021
About the Democratic Party of Wisconsin: The DPW is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2021-22 cycle, DPW will drive a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson in order to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. DPW’s work—grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide—continues year-round, working with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding candidates who share our values and vision to join our team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: As the Finance Director, you will be responsible for creating, leading, and directing the fundraising efforts for the party. You will help establish and execute the ‘21-‘22 cycle fundraising plan, hiring and leading a team of staff and consultants. You will maintain and build relationships with major donors and surrogates, both in state and national. You will oversee and convene the Finance Committee. You will maintain and improve a system of call-time management and coaching for the Chair and other Party leaders. You will build a close working relationship with the Digital team and as they execute grassroots fundraising events and other digital fundraising activities. You will develop a program to advise and train candidates for local office on finance best practices. As a member of the senior staff team, you will be a valued voice in strategic discussions, the overall owner of finance strategy for the party, and you will work closely with the Chair and Executive Director.
- Manage the Finance Department, including strategic planning, budgeting, hiring, and project management.
- Own the design and implementation of a comprehensive finance plan, working in close partnership with the Chair, ED, and Senior Digital Director as your primary consultants.
- Coordinate with the Operations team to monitor compliance and appropriately solicit, track, and report campaign finance contributions and expenditures.
- Oversee in state and national fundraising operation, including travel, donor targeting, and events
- Manage the direct mail program, and act as advisor and partner to the Senior Digital Director in executing the digital fundraising operations.
- Manage all finance consultants (PAC, Labor, Major Donor, etc)
- Ensure that the fundraising work of DPW embodies the values of the party and is grounded in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Growth Mindset – ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal Oriented – enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals.
- Cultural Competency – able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers across lines of identity difference.
- Keeps Calm in Stressful Situations — has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Management Skills – Ability to manage relationships within your team, bring out the best in your employees, and treat employees equitably across lines of difference.
- Prior Extensive Fundraising Experience – Demonstrably excellent track record of crafting and executing ambitious campaign finance plans.
- Campaign Finance Knowledge – Strong understanding of campaign finance laws and regulations.
- Election cycle experience in a senior finance role.
- Connections with Wisconsin donor base.
Benefits: Great, affordable benefits including; excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short term and long-term disability (free), free BetterHelp virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 10 days paid vacation, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.