About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin:
For the next four years, Wisconsin state politics will carry an almost unprecedented intensity and level of historical significance. Wisconsin faces a pivotal local and state Supreme Court race in the spring of 2020, will host the Democratic National Convention in 2020, and will be a – maybe THE – critical swing state in the 2020 presidential election. The 2020 state legislative elections will also shape redistricting in 2021, which will determine the state’s political future for a decade to come. And in 2022, the state will hold deeply competitive and consequential statewide elections, including for Governor and US Senator.
For the sake of the state’s future – and the nation’s – the Democratic Party of Wisconsin seeks an intelligent, personable, organized, self-starting individual to join our team as Human Resources Director.
As the Human Resources Director, you will execute a broad range of HR responsibilities including recruiting, onboarding, employee relations, and benefits implementation with a strong equity and inclusion lens. You will ensure that our HR practices meet all of the rules and regulations as set by state and federal law. You’ll work with employees at all levels and with the leadership team. This is a key service-oriented position that requires a high degree of initiative and individual judgement. You’ll have the opportunity to apply your high energy and enthusiasm for the HR profession and make a difference in the lives of employees, while at the same time helping the organization reach our goals.
• Develop and implement strategic initiatives for recruiting a diverse talent pool for all departments within the organization
• Conduct recruitment efforts, hiring processes and lead employee orientations including fellows and interns
• Performs benefits administration (Medical/Dental enrollments and changes, time-off tracking, FMLA, Retirement program, Workers’ Compensation, etc.)
• Provide support to employees on basic employee relations questions and inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs
• Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues by conducting effective, thorough, and objective inquiries in consultation with legal advisors
• Must maintain confidentiality of sensitive information with tact and discretion
• Develop strong management policies and practices for the organization
• Work with managers to ensure that regular performance evaluations are conducted for employees to help create a positive culture of feedback
• Consult with management, providing HR guidance as needed
• Collaborate with colleagues to develop departmental goals, objectives, and systems
• Ability to work non-traditional hours as needed
• Demonstrated commitment to building an equitable and inclusive culture with an organizational structure where everyone is able to thrive no matter their identity
• Experience as an HR leader in charge of retention and engagement
• Working knowledge of multiple HR disciplines. (recruiting, benefits, compensation, employee relations, performance management, federal and state employment laws)
• Entirely customer-centric (internal/external) and able to develop and sustain effective relationships with key people both inside and outside of the organization
• Working knowledge of all federal and state laws related to Human Resources
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to relate complex information in an understandable fashion to a variety of people with different levels of knowledge on the topic
• Applicants must be highly organized and have the ability to multitask in a fast-paced campaign environment
• Be a “team player” and assist co-workers with meeting important party deadlines, stuffing envelopes, and moral support as time permits
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office required
• Strong collaboration skills with the ability to work well in cross-functional teams
• HR Certifications are a plus but not required.
• Experience with HR systems such as ADP or PayChex is a strong plus.
• Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle preferred
• Knowledge of Wisconsin politics and campaign finance laws a plus.
• While campaign experience is a plus, the DPW is willing to consider highly qualified candidates with non-campaign backgrounds.
This is a mid-level position. The Human Resources Director will be based in Madison. Great benefits including; health care, dental, life insurance, short term and long-term disability, generous annual vacation time, sick days, and holiday time off.
To Apply: Please submit a resume including your three most recent employers; cover letter addressing what you bring to this position, and the DPW; and at least three professional references. (References are not contacted until you’ve had a successful interview, and are notified). Email your materials to: Jobs@DemocracyPartners.com with “HR Director” in the subject line.
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful in this role, the candidate must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse group of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.