Job Title: Operations and Compliance Intern
Reports to: Compliance Manager
Salary: $15/hour (20 hours/week), generous intern benefits
Location: Madison, WI
Date Range of Internship: Fall 2021
Application Deadline: 9/23/2021
(Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Deadlines may be shortened or extended as necessary. There is no guarantee this posting will remain open until the deadline or be closed on the deadline. This is a suggested timeframe based on organization needs.)
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: The DPW is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2021-22 election cycle, DPW will drive a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson in order to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. DPW’s work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: As an Operations and Compliance Intern, you will work with the Operations and Compliance team to support the needs of accounting and compliance at all levels. You will be primarily responsible for providing support with organizing and digitizing files. You will also provide support with office management and inventory, records retention, assist with coordinating mail, and have opportunities to learn more about campaign accounting in both payables and receivables. This position may be asked to work in person once the COVID-19 pandemic has subsided.
- Organize and digitize files.
- Help the Operations team maintain accurate recordkeeping for all compliance-related filings.
- Work with the Operations and Compliance Team to organize the Google Drive so it is better organized for team-members to find and access files.
- Assist with general accounting tasks as needed.
- Growth Mindset – Ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers who identify as BIPOC and across lines of difference.
- Organizational Skills – Can create a system that ensures tasks don’t slip through the cracks and that information is easy to access.
- Interest in Operations/Compliance – Demonstrated interest in campaign operations, office management, and accounting. Interest in pursuing or growing in a career in the Operations fields such as accounting, business administration, finance, etc.
- Managing Confidential Information – Has the ability/skills to handle confidential information with professionalism and care.
- Technical Proficiency – Working knowledge of Google Suite and Microsoft Office.
- Past Progressive Advocacy – Previous experience volunteering for and/or working with an organization that advocates for progressive values.
- Administrative Experience – Experience with clerical office work and organization.
- Access to Reliable Transportation.
Benefits: BetterHelp virtual therapy, intern events to promote career development, career-building sessions, flexible schedule, and a free monthly subscription to Calm.
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.