Job Description: Outreach Director
Reports to: Political Director
Salary: $60,000-80,000/year, generous benefits package
Location: Madison, WI
Start date: Immediately
Application Deadline: May 29th, 2020 (Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Deadlines may be shortened or extended as necessary. There is no guarantee this posting will remain open until the deadline or be closed on the deadline. This is the suggested time-frame based on organizational needs.)
About the Democratic Party of Wisconsin: For the next four years, Wisconsin state politics will carry an almost unprecedented intensity and level of historical significance. Analysts agree Wisconsin is the state most likely to tip the Electoral College in the 2020 presidential election. And with redistricting on the horizon, the 2020 state legislative elections will shape the state and nation’s political future for a decade to come. And in 2022, the state will hold deeply competitive and consequential statewide elections, including for Governor, US Senator, and newly drawn legislative districts.
For the sake of the state’s future – and the nation’s – the Democratic Party of Wisconsin seeks an intelligent, personable, organized, self-starting individual to join our team.
The Opportunity: Our Outreach Department will have the important task of building relationships with, and creating, an active dialogue between the Democratic Party of Wisconsin and different diverse groups across the state. The Outreach Director will be responsible for managing a statewide team of outreach managers who will be on the ground working to deepen the relationships between the Democratic Party and these constituency groups. The ultimate goal is not just to build relationships to help us win in November, but to build lasting and meaningful relationships that will continue long after the election this fall.
• Develop and strengthen the Outreach Department, including identifying strategic opportunities for growth and success, as well as managing challenges.
• Implement and assist in the creation of a statewide outreach plan that deepens the Democratic Party of Wisconsin’s relationships with underrepresented constituency groups
• Manage a statewide team of Outreach Managers that are assigned to specific constituency groups
• Coordinate with Constituent Services and the Organizing Department to implement feedback from outreach into DPW campaign plans and messaging.
• Create pathways for members of various constituency groups to become more involved in the issue and electoral efforts of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin.
• Oversee and assist with the planning and execution of community events across Wisconsin
• Act as as a surrogate and representative of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin at public events in diverse communities.
• Growth Mindset – ability to take and implement feedback.
• Relentlessly Goal Oriented – enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
• Cultural Competency – able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers who identify as POCI and across lines of difference.
• Experience managing a team of individuals with a common goal.
• Demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice, and an understanding of the issues facing communities of color, immigrant communities, and low to moderate income families.
• Strong writing and communication skills.
• Campaign experience, especially working in communities of color or immigrant communities.
• Access to a vehicle and willingness to travel statewide.
Benefits: Great benefits including; health care, dental, life insurance, short term and long-term disability, cell phone stipend, mileage reimbursement, generous annual vacation time, sick days, and holiday time off.
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful in this role, the candidate must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse group of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.