Job Description: Political Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Start date: Feb 2020
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: For the next four years, Wisconsin state politics will carry an almost unprecedented intensity and level of historical significance. Wisconsin faces a pivotal local and state Supreme Court race in the spring of 2020, will host the Democratic National Convention in 2020, and will be a – maybe THE – critical swing state in the 2020 presidential election. The 2020 state legislative elections will also shape redistricting in 2021, which will determine the state’s political future for a decade to come. And in 2022, the state will hold deeply competitive and consequential statewide elections, including for Governor and US Senator.
The Opportunity: This is an exciting opportunity to function as the political nerve center of the tipping point state in 2020 for a driven individual with strong interpersonal skills. As the Political Director, you will oversee several teams covering a wide breadth of political and campaign activity in Wisconsin and will report to the Executive Director as a member of the Senior Leadership Team. You will lead our efforts to build and strengthen ties in racially diverse and underrepresented communities across the state. Our Candidate Services team will be under your leadership and help our state legislative caucuses run competitive campaigns in as many districts as possible in Wisconsin next fall. The Democratic National Convention activities of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, along with our own state convention, will be under your leadership as well.
• Develop and strengthen the Political Department, including identifying strategic opportunities for growth and success, as well as managing challenges.
• Create in-state political outreach and candidate services plan in consultation with the senior management team.
• Prioritize deepening the Democratic Party of Wisconsin’s work and presence in communities of color and lifting up the issues most important within them.
• Coordinate with other departments, especially Communications and Organizing, to ensure we are building and utilizing our coalition to its full potential.
• Oversee the internal political affairs of the Party, including membership, state convention, regular Party leadership meetings, and our delegate selection process.
• Lead the Democratic Party of Wisconsin’s activities at the Democratic National Convention in Milwaukee, including both its delegation and other hosted events.
• Maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information with tact and discretion.
• Partner with Wisconsin state legislative caucuses and other in-state partners to recruit candidates for office.
• Guide candidates and the Candidate Services team through running competitive campaigns including creating campaign plans and executing paid media strategies.
• Experience working across multiple departments or teams within an organization.
• Strong leader able to drive projects and programs to rapid completion.
• Growth mindset: ability to take and get feedback.
• Relentlessly goal-oriented: enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals; willing to go over, under, around, or through any obstacle that gets in the way of meeting goals.
• Cultural competency: able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers who identify as POCI, and across lines of difference.
• Experience creating winning plans for candidate campaigns.
• Knowledge of targeted and coordinated paid media purchases for state and local candidates through direct mail, radio, social media, and other common methods.
• Demonstrated commitment to racial and social justice and understanding of issues facing communities of color, immigrant communities, and low-to-moderate income families.
• Ability to work non-traditional hours as needed.
• Experience hiring and leading a large and racially diverse team.
• Prior work for a candidate, a legislative campaign committee or other campaign committee.
• Knowledge of campaign finance laws.
• Working at a state caucus, convention and/or the Democratic National Convention, ideally in a state party staff capacity.
• Vehicle for travel.
This is a senior-level position. The Political Director will be based in Madison. Great benefits including; health care, dental, life insurance, short term and long-term disability, cell phone and mileage reimbursement, generous annual vacation time, sick days, and holiday time off.
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful in this role, the candidate must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse group of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.