Job Title: Regional Latina/o/x Community Organizing Director
Reports to: Deputy Organizing Director
Location: Milwaukee, Madison, or a designated region in Wisconsin.
Salary: $60,000/year, generous benefits package
Start date: April 2022
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: WisDems is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2022 election cycle, WisDems will continue to build a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. WisDems’ work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: As a Regional Latinx Community Organizing Director, you will build local grassroots teams that will then engage voters in both English & Spanish through relational organizing, voter registration, community service events, listening sessions, direct voter contact, volunteer recruitment, and volunteer retention. You will be responsible for executing a field program that works to elect Democrats up & down the ballot by building and maintaining the local community captains & volunteer infrastructure necessary for success in the Spring Elections and beyond.
- Work to build local grassroots volunteer teams that will then engage in direct voter contact in both English & Spanish, volunteer recruitment and retention.
- Implement grassroot field tactics, such as relational organizing, phone banks, canvassing & voter registration, including managing and executing effective activities.
- Manage team to meet or exceed metrics-based goals for volunteer recruitment & retention as well as direct voter contact (specifically relational organizing).
- Organize & coordinate community service events, listening sessions & voter registration events in your assigned turf.
- Create a strong inclusive progressive presence in Latinx communities within your assigned turf.
- Work to develop strong relationships with local stakeholders and constituency groups, including county party leaders and members, local grassroots organizations and activists, and partner and ally groups.
- Help to build the local volunteer & community captain infrastructure necessary for success in the Spring Elections and beyond.
- Be a representative of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin and our policies, including neutrality as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Growth Mindset – Ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal-Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Management Skills – Ability to manage relationships within your team, bring out the best in your employees, and treat employees equitably across lines of difference.
- Proficiency in Spanish.
- Strong Interpersonal Communication Skills – Namely, can connect with others, motivate & quickly gain trust with volunteers, staff, community members, and coalition partners, including in particular across lines of difference.
- Commitment to Our Values – Desire to fight for Democratic values and candidates.
- Previous organizing experience.
- Access to reliable transportation and a willingness to travel frequently.
- Technical Skills – Votebuilder (VAN) & Excel proficient.
Benefits: Great benefits including; excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short term and long-term disability (free), free Better Help virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 10 days paid vacation, retirement plan with 3% employer match, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note on COVID-19: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations due to disability, medical condition, or bona fide religious belief will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.