Job Description: Regional Voter Protection Director
Reports to: Deputy Voter Protection Director
Salary: $60,000/annual, generous benefits package
Start date: June 15, 2022
Location: Madison, Milwaukee or Green Bay
Application Deadline: Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Deadlines may be shortened or extended as necessary. There is no guarantee this posting will remain open until the deadline or be closed on the deadline. This is a suggested timeframe based on organization needs.
About the Democratic Party of Wisconsin: The DPW is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2022 election cycle, DPW will drive a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson in order to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. DPW’s work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is seeking a Regional Voter Protection Director to be responsible for building and sustaining political and strategic relationships with the appropriate municipal election officials and key voter protection volunteers, and will be a resource for legal and strategic action against efforts aimed at disenfranchising voters.
- Build relationships with election officials, party leadership, campaigns, and other stakeholders within regions
- Develop, produce, and disseminate complete, accessible, and accurate voting information
- Help implement a comprehensive voter protection plan to identify and triage problems with absentee voting and Election Day voting
- Recruit, train, manage and serve as a resource for voter protection volunteers
- Manage Statewide Voter Protection programs, including outreach to municipal elections officials.
- Maintain a current knowledge of the laws concerning election administration, voting and related issues, as well as a current knowledge of ongoing goals/activities of other relevant stakeholders
- Additional duties as assigned
- Growth Mindset – Ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Remains calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers who identify as BIPOC, and across other lines of identity difference. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Management and People Skills – Ability to manage relationships with volunteers of varying experience and skill level as well as with key local election officials and other stakeholders
- Multitasking In A Fast Paced Environment – Able to work quickly without sacrificing accuracy and displays ability to efficiently juggle multiple tasks.
- Excellent Communication Skills – Demonstrably excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. In particular, the distillation of complex issues into digestible bites which spurs people to action.
- Commitment to the DPW’s Values – A strong commitment to protecting the right to vote and expanding access to the ballot, advancing the Democratic agenda, strengthening the Democratic Party, and winning elections
- Juris Doctorate
- Experience managing volunteers
- Proficient in VAN, LBJ and Google Workplace (Sheets, Docs, Gmail, etc.)
- Political organizing and/or campaign experience
- Previous voter protection, poll observer, poll worker, or hotline volunteer experience
Benefits: Great benefits including excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short term and long-term disability (free), free Better Help virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 10 days paid vacation, retirement plan with 3% employer match, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note on COVID-19: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations due to disability, medical condition, or bona fide religious belief will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.