Job Title: Research Director
Reports to:Communications Director
Salary: $75,000-$85,000, Plus see below for details on the DPW generous benefits package
Location: Madison, WI (Milwaukee, WI can be added at the Hiring Manager’s request.)
Start date: January 2023
Application Deadline: December 2022 (Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Deadlines may be shortened or extended as necessary. There is no guarantee this posting will remain open until the deadline or be closed on the deadline. This is a suggested timeframe based on organization needs.)
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: WisDems is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. During the 2023 spring election cycle, DPW will drive a massive program to elect a progressive majority to the state supreme court, elect candidates up and down the ballot and work to build volunteer-led coalitions for the long term. WisDems’ work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: As the Research Director for the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, you will be responsible for managing the research department, housed under the communications department, and complete the long-term and short-term research projects needed to achieve the party’s goals. In addition to the immediate research needs of the communications department, you will prepare the party to hold Republicans accountable for the spring 2023 and 2024 election cycles.
- Assist with rapid response efforts and media monitoring
- Fact-check statements, scripts, ads, and all forms of media
- Provide press pitches, briefings, and research materials, when needed
- Monitor election activity around the state
- Complete background vets as needed
- Evaluate processes in the department and improve/make recommendations as needed
- Perform additional specific research responsibilities, as directed
- Growth Mindset – you have the ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal Oriented – you enjoy working toward and achieving ambitious goals.
- You keep calm in stressful situations and have the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – you’re able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers who identify as BIPOC and across lines of difference.
- Self-Starter – you are comfortable taking the reins in your own hands and proactively working towards a goal with minimal direction
- Ability to quickly synthesize complex information and communicate it in a digestible fashion
- Previous experience in a political research role
- Experience with LexisNexis, government databases, congressional and legislative vote analyses, and other relevant databases
- Experience compiling databases, and searching media, courthouse, campaign finance, public record, corporate and business filings, and tracking research into research books
- Access to a vehicle
Benefits: Great benefits including; excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short term and long-term disability (free), free Better Help virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 10 days paid vacation, retirement plan with 3% employer match, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note on COVID-19: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations due to disability, medical condition, or bona fide religious belief will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.