Job Title: Senior Operations Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: $88,000-$115,000 Plus see below for details on the DPW generous benefits package
Location: Madison, WI
Start date: As Soon As Possible
Application Deadline: 8/5/22 (Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Deadlines may be shortened or extended as necessary. There is no guarantee this posting will remain open until the deadline or be closed on the deadline. This is a suggested timeframe based on organization needs.)
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: WisDems is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2022 election cycle, WisDems will continue to build a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. WisDems’ work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: This is an exciting opportunity for a driven individual to help inform the daily work and implementation of the organization’s mission and values across a diverse array of projects and staff. As the Senior Operations Director, you will oversee several teams covering a wide breadth of accounting, compliance, logistics, and information technology while reporting to the Executive Director as a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Act as the leader and facilitator of the “how” for the entire Party through your leadership and direct management of the Operations teams working in close collaboration to support all of the programmatic Departments at WisDems.
- Identify strategic opportunities to increase the efficiency and equity of party operations and staff support.
- Directly oversee logistics, accounting, compliance and IT while providing strong day-to-day leadership to make key operational decisions and clearly facilitate communication between the operations department and the programmatic departments.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and senior leadership team to establish policies, operational strategy, and comprehensive budgets that promote our organization’s vision and culture.
- Assist the Executive Director for future planning for the organization and advise on program feasibility.
- Oversight and management of the DPW’s finances working within applicable state and federal campaign finance laws.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with DPW’s legal counsel to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, particularly with issues of campaign finance and contract negotiations.
- Provide support to the County and Congressional District parties around the state in matters of compliance issues and reporting for state and federal accounts
- In coordination with the Executive Director manage key external relationships with Admin Committee members and key stakeholders in compliance and financial matters.
- Other tasks as needed.
- Growth Mindset – Ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal-Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Management Skills – Ability to manage relationships within your team, bring out the best in your employees, and treat employees equitably across lines of difference.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a growing and complex organization’s finance and operations to hit ambitious goals.
- Proven track record of managing complex budgets accurately and successfully
- Familiarity of federal and state campaign finance laws
- Ability to diagnose problems quickly and have foresight into potential issues
- Familiarity with HR payroll, hiring, and legal best practices
- Knowledge of the operational needs for GOTV
- Working knowledge of campaign finance reporting software; experience with NGP, ActBlue, accounting software
- Working knowledge of Google office suite, Zoom
Benefits: Great benefits including; excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short term and long-term disability (free), free Better Help virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 10 days paid vacation, retirement plan with 3% employer match, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note on COVID-19: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations due to disability, medical condition, or bona fide religious belief will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.