Job Description: Social Media Director
Reports to: Senior Digital Director
Salary: $60,000-$80,000, generous benefits package
Start date: January 5, 2021
About the Democratic Party of Wisconsin: For the next four years, Wisconsin state politics will carry an almost unprecedented intensity and level of historical significance. This year, Wisconsin was the state that tipped the Electoral College for Joe Biden. And we stopped Republicans from winning supermajorities in our gerrymandered State Assembly and Senate districts. In 2021, we will take on a deeply consequential fight to redraw our legislative maps to make them fair. And in 2022, the state will hold competitive statewide elections, including for Governor, US Senator, and newly drawn legislative districts.
For the sake of the state’s future – and the nation’s – the Democratic Party of Wisconsin seeks an intelligent, personable, organized, self-starting individual to join our team.
The Opportunity: As Social Media Director, you will play a key role with-in the Digital department in charge of all organic social media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and new platforms. You will be responsible for planning out content calendars on all platforms, and being responsive to the news cycle to ensure that we’re nimbly leaning into breaking news to exponentially increase our reach and engagement. You will also work closely with the Senior Digital Director to leverage the Chair’s and Senior Staff’s online presences to maximize fundraising and growth for the party.
- Be in charge of the the organic social media content calendar
- Brainstorm and ensure development of social media content working with staff and developers
- Keep a sharp eye on analytics with a focus on engagement and growth, be on the lookout for opportunities to exponentially increase our audience
- Ideate and test organic social fundraising and email/SMS list growth models
- Work with Senior Digital Director and Chair to leverage and grow the Chair’s Twitter presence to meet key party objectives: online fundraising and list growth
- Work with the Senior Digital Director to leverage the online presences of other Senior Staff members to hit fundraising, growth, and narrative goals
- Be plugged into social media and news cycle, and lift up opportunities for social media engagement, growth, online fundraising and list growth
- Constantly brainstorming and testing new, creative ways to leverage social media platforms—including new ones—to meet the department’s and party’s goals
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to write engaging digital copy—social media, email, SMS, more—quickly and with high attention to detail
- Ability to spin up assets needed for rapid response moments: landing pages, social share images + copy, accurately parameterized links, etc
- Understanding of social media analytics with experience optimizing social presence for engagement, growth, list growth, and fundraising
- Demonstrated ability working with vendors and consultants to execute fast-moving projects
- Basic graphic design and video editing skills
- Growth Mindset – ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal Oriented – enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers who identify as POCI and across lines of difference.
- Advanced design skills: Adobe suite
- Strong analytics skills: SQL, Excel, Google Studio
- Work experience on Democratic campaigns or at progressive advocacy organizations
Benefits: Great benefits including; health care, dental, life insurance, short term and long-term disability, cell phone stipend, mileage reimbursement, generous annual vacation time, sick days, and holiday time off.
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful in this role, the candidate must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse group of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.