FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 19, 2022
Contact: Julia Hamelburg (email@example.com)
365 Days of Record-Breaking Job Creation
MADISON, Wis. — President Biden started his first day in office with a 6.4 percent unemployment rate and dismal job creation numbers left behind by his predecessor. Now, one year later, with President Biden at the helm, the economy has grown faster than it has in decades. Over 6.4 million jobs were added in the last year, unemployment claims are down to a level not seen since 1969, and the unemployment rate has plummeted to 3.9 percent — a number that wasn’t expected until 2026.
Thanks to President Biden and Governor Evers, Wisconsin now has one of the lowest unemployment rates in its history at 3% — that’s one of the lowest in the country — and one of the highest labor participation rates in the nation.
These jobs didn’t appear out of thin air — in Wisconsin, President Biden’s American Rescue Plan ensured that Governor Evers had the funds needed to lead the Badger State into a stronger economic recovery.
Here are some of the initiatives Governor Evers spearheaded thanks to President Biden’s American Rescue Plan:
- $200 million to help local governments recover from the COVID-19 pandemic
- $420 million in grants for an estimated 84,000 small businesses
- $140 million to help bolster businesses in Wisconsin’s tourism and entertainment industries
- $100 million to bring high-speed internet to Wisconsin families
- $130 million to find solutions to workforce challenges and help unemployed or underemployed workers find job opportunities
There’s still more work to do to make sure Wisconsinites stay competitive in the job market for the next year. Governor Evers and Democrats in Congress are committed to working with President Biden to deliver federal funding that will help Wisconsin build back better and invest in the communities that need it most.