What They’re Saying: No Question That Republicans Running For Wisconsin Governor Are Against Abortion Access
MADISON, Wis. – Faced with the news that the Supreme Court will overturn 50 years of guaranteed abortion protection in the United States, Republicans running for governor doubled down on their anti-abortion views and their desire to make abortion illegal for Wisconsinites.
Republicans in Wisconsin, who also rejected Governor Evers Special Session to overturn the 1849 abortion ban on the books this week, are wildly out of step with our state. 58% of Wiscosinites believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases, according to the latest Marquette University Law School Poll.
See how Republicans running for governor reacted to the overturning of Roe v. Wade and other radical statements they have made on abortion:
- Steve Scaffidi Show, WTMJ: “It is terrific news.
- Previously agreed that survivors of rape should “turn lemons into lemonade” by having the children of their attackers.
- Twitter: “The pro-life movement does not end with today’s victory. In fact, it’s vital that we grow stronger.”
- In a case of rape: “To ask [the mother] to go through the birth is not unreasonable […]” [Wisconsin State Journal, 6/13/04]
- Twitter: “The Constitution was designed to protect Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. The issue of abortion has been returned to the American people, where it should have always been.”
- No Better Friend Corp., Kevin Nicholson’s dark money advocacy group, referred pregnant people considering abortions to sham crisis pregnancy centers. Instead of providing access to care, these fake clinics impede access to abortion and provide misleading information. Nicholson said, Crisis pregnancy centers are “a super tactical way” to stand in the way of people seeking abortion care.
- See more about Kevin Nicholson’s extreme stance on abortion at https://antichoicekevin.com.
Rebecca Kleefisch, Kevin Nicholson, Tim Ramthun, and Tim Michels all want to ban abortion, with no exceptions in cases of rape or incest, and are all too extreme for Wisconsinites.