Tuesday, April 10, 2018
Contact: Brad Bainum, firstname.lastname@example.org
“Outside groups have spent more than four times as much on negative ads against [Tammy Baldwin] than against any other senator”
“[S]uper PACs funded almost entirely by [Dick] Uihlein, together have spent more than $5 million to back [Keivn] Nicholson or oppose Baldwin“
MADISON — “Outside spending in [the Wisconsin U.S. Senate race] likely is ‘unprecedented’ for a U.S. Senate campaign, excluding special elections, at this stage,” according to a new report from the Wisconsin State Journal.
And it turns out that most of those millions have been directed towards either attacking U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin or promoting corporate consultant Kevin Nicholson, who’s competing with state Sen. Leah Vukmir for the Republican Party’s nomination.
Tammy Baldwin remains a top target of right-wing billionaire megadonors like the Koch brothers and Illinois billionaire Dick Uihlein:
- “A broader view of outside spending in the race, based on data provided by Democratic and Republican sources in Wisconsin, puts the total amount spent at more than $13 million.”
- “Meanwhile, Baldwin, D-Madison, has faced a negative ad blitz that so far dwarfs any other U.S. Senate incumbent seeking re-election this fall. Outside groups have spent more than four times as much on negative ads against her than against any other senator, the Center for Responsive Politics data show.”
- “Much of the anti-Baldwin ad barrage comes from groups funded by the billionaire Koch brothers, among the nation’s most prolific donors to conservative and Republican political causes.”
- “Outside groups have spent nearly $5 million to support Nicholson“
- “Nearly all of the pro-Nicholson ads come from super PACs funded largely by Uihlein.”
- “America’s PAC and Restoration PAC, super PACs funded almost entirely by Uihlein, together have spent more than $5 million to back Nicholson or oppose Baldwin, according to the center.”
- “Uihlein made a huge early splash for Nicholson when he pledged $3.5 million to a super PAC supporting him…He also has given $850,000 to John Bolton Super PAC, affiliated with President Donald Trump’s incoming national security adviser.”
- “The pro-Nicholson spending spree has helped make Uihlein the top national donor to outside groups in the 2018 cycle so far.”