FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 18, 2021
Contact: WisDems Press (wisdems.org)
Senator Baldwin, Representative Moore, Chair Wikler Celebrate Passage of Bipartisan Infrastructure Law
MADISON, Wis. — Today, U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin, Congresswoman Gwen Moore, and Chair Ben Wikler celebrated the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, which will invest in good-paying jobs, clean drinking water, accessible broadband, and provide federal funds for infrastructure projects to Wisconsin.
The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, signed by President Biden last week, highlights the Biden administration’s continued commitment to delivering for Wisconsin’s working families and delivering on their promise to build back better. Thanks to this law, Wisconsin will receive $841 million over five years to improve water infrastructure and eradicate lead pipes across the state, ensuring that safe drinking water is a right in all communities.
The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law builds upon Governor Evers’ commitment to fixing Wisconsin’s aging infrastructure. Thanks to Gov. Evers’ leadership, repairs have been made in virtually every corner of the state and Wisconsin’s roads are ranked 8th in the nation.
See excerpts of the speaker’s remarks below:
Senator Tammy Baldwin:
- “We are celebrating infrastructure week here in Wisconsin! This week, we finally turned ‘infrastructure week’ talk of the past into real action by getting the job done on bipartisan legislation that will help build a stronger economy and make a real difference in the lives of Wisconsin’s working families.”
- “I voted for this bipartisan legislation because it will create good-paying jobs, and put Wisconsin to work fixing our roads and our bridges — rebuilding our water infrastructure, and expanding access to affordable and reliable high-speed broadband for Wisconsin families, students, small businesses, and farmers.”
Representative Gwen Moore (WI-04):
- “I just thought about how historic this infrastructure week is — because it’s not just infrastructure week, it really is infrastructure for a generation. I don’t know when I’ve seen this kind of investment in the 70 years that I have been on earth.”
- “I am so pleased that in this bill there are provisions to make sure that even the lowest income families will have some subsidy toward buying equipment so that they can get online.”
Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Ben Wikler:
- “Delivering the bipartisan infrastructure deal represents President Biden, Senator Baldwin, Representative Moore — and her colleagues Representative Kind and Pocan — delivering on their responsibilities to better the state of Wisconsin. This is true leadership and Wisconsinites in every corner of the state thank them and applaud them.”
- “Unfortunately, Wisconsin’s Republicans in Congress and Ron Johnson did not follow through on that same commitment to Wisconsin — showcasing a real failure in the Republican leadership in Wisconsin. Let’s be very clear here, while Democrats were busy delivering historic and life-changing legislation, Republicans like Ron Johnson voted against clean water, safer roads and bridges, increased access to broadband, and a more competitive future for the state of Wisconsin. There is absolutely no excuse for this.”