FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
June 17, 2021
Contact: WisDems Press (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Wisconsin Educators Give President Biden’s Pandemic Response An A+
Madison, Wis. –– Earlier this week, Wisconsin students thanked President Biden, Governor Evers, and Democrats in Congress for leading Wisconsin through the COVID-19 pandemic with video thank you notes. Today, Wisconsin educators from across the state joined the conversation, praising President Biden’s recovery efforts through the American Rescue Plan and calling for legislators to continue supporting Wisconsin schools.
“Thanks to President Biden’s leadership, COVID-19 cases are down, vaccines are up, and students and teachers are getting back on track,” said Democratic Party of Wisconsin Rapid Response Director Julia Hamelburg. “Educators have been on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic, adapting to virtual learning to protect themselves and their students—and now these heroes are looking forward to building back better in the classroom, thanks to the American Rescue Plan. As we return to in-person learning, students and educators know that it’s because of A+ pandemic leadership from President Biden and Gov. Evers––and in spite of the Wisconsin Republicans who voted against the funding that made this return to normalcy possible.”
Here’s what educators from across the state are saying about the success of President Biden’s pandemic response:
Randal Braun, Cameron, WI:
- “After spending 37 years as a K-12 teacher, principal, and superintendent, and several years working at the post-secondary level, I would like to commend the students, parents, and staff of Wisconsin’s Pre-K-12 schools for completing a COVID school year.
- “Over the last year, Wisconsin Democrats did not stand by, but instead took positive action by ramping up testing, vaccine development and distribution. Thanks to Governor Evers, President Biden and Democrats in Congress, the American Rescue Plan provided funding to support these initiatives and expand vaccination sites that are already helping students and educators safely return to their normal lives.”
Carol Jensen-Olson, Sturgeon Bay, WI:
- “One year later, I am thankful that President Biden and Governor Evers understood how to get the virus under control. I’m grateful that President Biden passed the American Rescue Plan and worked with Wisconsin to increase the vaccine supply and expand vaccination sites in my community.
- “Today, I am hopeful. I know that because of Democratic leadership, students, teachers, and bus drivers can safely return to schools. By continuing to get vaccinated, and working with our national leaders to pass the American Jobs Plan and Families Plan, we can ensure that we’re building a better future for our children.”
Diane Slivka, Forestville, WI:
- “This year was challenging and I’m thankful to all the teachers who came together as a community, despite the necessary precautions and unknowns of COVID-19, to deliver for students. Despite their best efforts, students and young people often felt the most hopeless in this pandemic, as they sacrificed extracurricular events and social connections in the name of public safety.
- “Thanks to President Biden’s leadership, and his partnership with Governor Evers, the pandemic is finally under control—we now have a successful vaccine program in Wisconsin and the American Rescue Plan has provided our community with the necessary funds to recover from this pandemic.”
Paul Hambleton, Hudson, WI:
- “Having spent over 20 years working in education, both in and out of the classroom, I know how defining and important in-person education can be, so I’m thankful to President Biden for getting this pandemic under control. The federal funding granted to Wisconsin through the American Rescue Plan—which passed no thanks to a single Republican in Congress—is making it possible for our students to safely return to in-person learning, participate in extracurricular activities, and even go to school dances.”
# # #