Job Title: Communications Director
Reports to: Deputy Executive Director
Salary: $100,000 – $115,000, Plus see below for details on the DPW generous benefits package
Start Date: January 2023
Application Deadline: December 1 (Applications are considered on a rolling basis. Deadlines may be shortened or extended as necessary. There is no guarantee this posting will remain open until the deadline or be closed on the deadline. This is a suggested timeframe based on organization needs.)
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: WisDems is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. During the 2023 spring election cycle, DPW will drive a massive program to elect a progressive majority to the state supreme court, elect candidates up and down the ballot, and work to build volunteer-led coalitions for the long term. WisDems’ work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: As a Communications Director, you will work closely with our elected partners, allies, and other stakeholders to develop and lead the execution of a comprehensive and ambitious communications plan, including both earned and paid media, to win Wisconsin’s spring 2023 elections, advance our goals in legislative fights, and prepare Democrats for success in the 2024 cycle. You will play a key role in strengthening and amplifying Wisconsin’s Democratic “echo chamber,” ensuring partners and stakeholders are on-message and supporting our communications goals. As a member of the senior staff team, you will be a valued voice in strategic discussions, the overall owner of messaging for the party, and you will work closely with the Chair, Executive Director, and Deputy Executive Director to advance DPW’s strategic goals in the press.
- Manage the Communications Department, including strategic planning, budgeting, hiring, and project management.
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson for the party, maintaining relationships with key national and in-state press
- Liaise, coordinate, and troubleshoot with allied campaigns and stakeholders to ensure unified, consistent Democratic messaging with Democratic elected members and candidates up and down the ballot
- Proactively seek media opportunities for the Chair and other party spokespeople and allies, and develop pitches to secure national and key local bookings and interviews.
- Prepare and provide talking points, background materials, and other prep materials for relevant staff.
- Hold GOP electeds and candidates accountable in the press and through paid communication.
- Work closely with our Digital department to ensure the messaging of the party in every venue is on brand and on point
- Ensure that the messaging of DPW embodies the values of the party, is grounded in diversity, equity, and inclusion, and seeks to meet the voters of Wisconsin where they are.
- Growth Mindset – ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal Oriented – enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals.
- Cultural Competency – able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers across lines of identity difference.
- Keeps Calm in Stressful Situations — has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Demonstrably excellent verbal and written communication skills, in particular the distillation of complex issues into publicly digestible bites which spurs people to action.
- Demonstrated ability to craft communications strategy to advance an organization or candidate’s objectives
- Experience hiring and managing a team of communications professionals to successfully hit ambitious strategic messaging goals
- Sharp, strategic instincts, meaning you’re fast on your feet and able to make confident strategic choices with minimal oversight
- Previous experience interacting with members of the media
- Election cycle experience in a communications role
- Connections with Wisconsin politics and/or media
Benefits: Great benefits including; excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short term and long-term disability (free), free Better Help virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 10 days paid vacation, retirement plan with 3% employer match, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note on COVID-19: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations due to disability, medical condition, or bona fide religious belief will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.