MADISON, Wis. — Yesterday, Tom Tiffany and the House Freedom Caucus came out against bipartisan negotiations on the debt ceiling, and are threatening to crash the U.S. economy unless their 22% cut to veterans benefits is passed.
“Tom Tiffany’s demand to stop negotiations on the debt ceiling is radical and dangerous. Rather than continue to make progress on bipartisan negotiations, Tiffany is threatening to crash the entire U.S. economy in a futile attempt to pass his ultra-MAGA wishlist,” said Democratic Party of Wisconsin Rapid Response Director Arik Wolk.
See below for how Tiffany and the House GOP’s radical plan would hurt Wisconsin:
- 189,000 Wisconsinites would lose access to food assistance.
- 4,500 kids in the state would lose preschool and child care slots.
- 7,000 Wisconsin families would lose access to rental assistance, including older adults, those with disabilities, and families with children.
- As many as 123,000 kids with disabilities in Wisconsin would face reduced support.
- Wisconsin veterans would lose 116,000 outpatient doctors visits, including for issues like mental health and substance disorder treatment and suicide prevention.
- Thousands of Wisconsin seniors would lose access to Meals on Wheels.