What They’re Saying: Ron Johnson’s Support For Federal Abortion Ban
MADISON, Wis. – As Ron Johnson and his colleagues continue to try to take away Wisconsinites’ freedom, Johnson’s record of supporting a national abortion ban is taking center stage. This comes after Johnson praised the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, which he knew full well would mean nearly all abortions in Wisconsin would become illegal.
What They’re Saying:
- Wisconsin State Journal: “Johnson has supported national abortion bans before, co-sponsoring six, 20-week abortion bans between 2013 and 2021.”
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: “Johnson has previously supported legislation from Graham that would ban abortions nationwide 20 weeks after fertilization…In Wisconsin, doctors stopped providing abortions in June following the overturning of Roe v. Wade because of a state law passed in 1849 that outlaws all abortions except in situations where the mother’s life is in danger.”
- Wisconsin Examiner: “Johnson’s position on the nationwide abortion ban is crystal clear. Whether he says so or not, he is already in favor of Graham’s effort…Johnson cosponsored every version of the same ban Graham has introduced since 2013. Johnson’s name is on the bill six times — in 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021.”
- Bloomberg: “Johnson, like most other Senate Republicans, voted for Graham’s previous bill with a ban at 20 weeks and co-sponsored it last year.”
- The Washington Post: “Johnson voted in favor of past version of Graham’s bill, which banned abortions at 20 weeks, in September 2005, January 2018, and February 2020.”