ICYMI: Ron Johnson’s Stance on Social Security is Wrong
“Here in Wausau, it’s pretty clear that Ron Johnson doesn’t care about me or my fellow Wisconsinites who rely on these programs that we spent decades paying into.”
MADISON, Wis. — Following Ron Johnson doubling down on his threats to cut Social Security and Medicare, Wisconsin senior Nancy Stencil slammed him for attacking the livelihood of her family and hundreds of thousands of other retired Wisconsinites.
Wausau Pilot and Review: Your letters: Ron Johnson’s stance on Social Security is wrong
- “I worked for 45 years to earn a living for myself and my family.
- “For decades, I paid into Social Security, setting money aside so that when I retired, I could keep a roof over my head and food on the table. Like so many people across our state, I knew that Social Security and Medicare would support me in the next phase of my life.
- “This month marked the 87th anniversary of Social Security. Over the last 87 years, this program and Medicare have become overwhelmingly popular programs that millions of working people rely on.
- “If Republican politicians get their way, they would strip funding from these programs and cut the benefits that serve as lifelines for seniors across our state.
- “Here in Wausau, it’s pretty clear that Ron Johnson doesn’t care about me or my fellow Wisconsinites who rely on these programs that we spent decades paying into.
- “In fact, Johnson has spent his career working against Social Security. He has called this life-saving program a “Ponzi Scheme” and supported legislation that would cut funding for this program as well as Medicare.
- “After Johnson broke his two-term pledge to run for another six years in office, he has recommitted to the idea that Congress should be able to cut funding for these programs – which would mean six more years of living in fear of his attacks on Social Security.
- “The senator’s disdain for Social Security isn’t a one-off case – Republican politicians across the board have made it clear that the GOP’s agenda is steeped with an anti-senior sentiment.
- “It must be nice for multi-millionaire Ron Johnson and his Republican colleagues to not have to worry about what will happen when they retire.
- “This privileged nonchalance puts Ron Johnson and Republican politicians wholly out of touch with millions of families across our state. After decades of attacking seniors’ benefits, it’s abundantly clear that Republican politicians do not care about working people.
- “While Democrats deliver legislative win after legislative win and pass bills that will lower costs for people across our state, Republicans continue to pose a severe threat to Wisconsin seniors.
- “If seniors want to continue celebrating this program, it’s essential that Wisconsin voters fire Ron Johnson and elect Democrats up and down the ticket.
- “We must hold Republican politicians accountable for betraying Wisconsin seniors – and that starts at the ballot box.”